14 Jun THINGS TO DO IN & AROUND PLAINFIELD THIS SUMMER
The sun is up and school is out! Although we love when our kids just run around the neighborhood with their friends, making their own fun, at some point you will hear the agonizing words, “We’re bored! There’s nothing to do!” Never fear, we complied a list of kid-friendly things to keep the kids from going stir-crazy!
- Plainfield Public Library: The Plainfield library has a variety of programs and activities for children of all ages, including a variety of fun story time activities, arts & crafts, food trucks, Nintendo tournaments, magic shows, cupcake wars, movies, and more. This calendar is worth printing out and hanging on a bulletin board! Perfect for a rainy day! http://il.evanced.info/plainfield/evanced/eventcalendar.asp
- The Scitech Hands on Museum: Explore over 200 interactive STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics) exhibits that inspire education and imagination. Children under 3 are free, and general admission is $8 per person. The museum is CLOSED on Sunday and Monday!
- The Dupage Children’s Museum: Located in Naperville, this museum will keep your kids occupied for HOURS with many hands-on exhibits. Parking is free and there is a café where you and the kids can relax and refuel. The museum has its own calendar of events which is also worth printing and posting. Admission is $12 a person. https://dupagechildrens.org/learning-experiences/for-families/upcoming-events/.
- Ball Factory: This indoor playground is at the TOP of our “must-do” list. Located off of Route 59, this indoor play area is “nirvana” for those 12 and under. $11 let’s you play all day on the weekdays and $14 for the weekends and holidays. Coupons, special offers and punch cards are available online. Bring socks! And there’s a cute café for healthy snacks that will satisfy palates of all ages
- Bowling: Plainfield Lanes offers family fun entertainment close to home. Register your kids at kidsbowlfree.com and they can bowl free EVERY DAY over the summer (2 games per day). Call ahead for lane availability and pricing. http://www.plainfieldlanes.com.
- Laser Tag: If you are looking for somewhere to take the gang, laser tag is always fun with a big group. There are many laser tag venues in the area. We recommend going to Groupon to check out who has the latest and greatest specials!
- Plainfield Park District: When in doubt, check out the park district website to see what’s happening. From the pools, to camps and classes, we guarantee you will find something that your kids will enjoy! http://www.plainfieldparkdistrict.com
- Splash Pad: The Village Green Park at 24121 West Chicago Street has a splash pad that’s open from 10am to 7pm between Memorial Day and Labor Day. It has several water spouts and fun equipment for children to play on and get wet. If you are looking for variety in your splash park, look no further! Here is a great list of splash parks in the western suburbs! http://gowestyoungmom.com/summer-guide-2014-splash-parks-and-spraygrounds-in-chicagos-western-suburbs
- Ottawa Street Pool: This pool has afternoon swim and evening swim hours. Afternoon swim is Monday-Friday from 12:00-4:30pm, and admission is $4 per person. Evening Swim is Monday-Friday from 7:00-8:30, and admission is $3 per person. Weekend swim is Saturday & Sunday from 1:00-8:00pm. Have a summer birthday? The pool is available for summer parties and rentals!
- Centennial Beach: Located in downtown Naperville, the beach is a great place to spend the day with the kids. Non-resident admission is $10 for those under 18. Adults $12. Just outside of the beach are paddle boats rentals and a café. Boat rentals are $10 for 20-minute ride for up to four people and $12 for a 40-minute ride for up to four people. Children under 13 years of age must be accompanied by an adult.
Chicago has a festival just about every weekend this summer, from the weekly fireworks at Navy Pier, to the Gospel Music Festival, Wells Street Art Festival, Chicago Alefest, LakeShake, Taste Of Chicago, Chicago Craft Brew Festival and Lollapalooza to name a few.
The most popular festivals around the Plainfield area include PLAINFIELD FEST in West Electric Park held this year July 14-16. http://plainfieldfest.org
Naperville Ale Fest http://napervillealefest.com
Naperville Ribfest http://www.ribfest.net
Naperville Last Fling http://www.lastfling.org
Nothing beats making memories with your family at a good, old-fashioned festival. The live music, rides, impossible carnival games, sun on your back, freshly shaken lemonade in one hand, little hand in another…it’s what summer is all about. So wipe that sticky cotton-candy off their cute faces (and don’t forget to brush those teeth), grab another funnel cake, and enjoy every moment summer has to offer!
HAPPY SUMMER EVERYONE!